The world’s most influential companies, committed to 100% renewable power.
RE100 is the global corporate renewable energy initiative bringing together hundreds of large and ambitious businesses committed to 100% renewable electricity.
Companies in the commercial and industrial sector account for around half of the world’s end-of-use of electricity. We are switching this to renewables by:
- Driving businesses to achieve 100% renewable electricity globally in the shortest possible timeline (by 2050 at the latest);
- Setting the bar for corporate leadership, holding members to account, and celebrating their achievements to encourage others to follow;
- Communicating the compelling business case to companies, utilities, market operators, policymakers and other key influencers;
- Highlighting barriers to seizing the business and economic benefits of renewable electricity as reported by members;
- Working with members and in partnership with others to address policy and market challenges.
Members disclose their electricity data annually, and we report on their progress. Their collective demand for renewables is on a par with the electricity consumption of a major country.
RE100 companies are switching to renewables at pace, generating positive local impacts and influencing suppliers, policymakers and utilities, while aligning with the growing expectations of customers, shareholders and employees. We amplify their voices to governments and the energy sector around the world, to spur a faster market response.
Science shows we need to halve global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 to get the world on track to reaching net zero by 2050, and to be in with a fighting chance of limiting global heating to 1.5°C. We need every major company to commit to 100% renewable power.
Our members have operations all over the world and in a wide range of industries, from telecommunications and retail to cement and automobile manufacturing.
Since RE100 was launched at Climate Week NYC 2014, the initiative has expanded across Europe, North America, and the Asia-Pacific, and we are seeing rapid growth in Japan.
We partner with select organisations in key growth geographies to grow the membership and drive market change. We provide companies with access to peer-learning, policy support, and local market insight.
Find out more about our work in different regions below.